Cooking meat over fire sounds easy, but some still find it challenging for a number of reasons.You shouldn’t have to feel overwhelmed when barbequing, and the preparation for it can be just as fun as enjoying the food you just made. This is why we’ve prepared the ultimate beginner’s guide for a BBQ done right. Keep just these 3 things in mind and you’ll be happily grilling in no time!
- Stick with the basics. The first step to avoiding that overwhelming feeling is to stick with some basic recipes first. The less complicated the prep time is, the less stressed you’ll feel too! Remember how some salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme can go such a long way when it comes to delivering flavor. If you’re feeling a little more festive, barbequing marinated meats with some slices of bell peppers, onions, and lemon wedges is a great idea as well. Here’s an easy chicken breast recipe:
- Prep the marinade: Whisk together 1 clove of garlic, 2 tsps. honey, 2 tsps. Kosher salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 2 sprigs of thyme leaves, zest and juice from one lemon until the honey and salt dissolve. Slowly pour in half a cup of olive oil and whisk until emulsified and marinate for about 4 hours.
- Preheat your grill at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Insert the temperature probe into a chicken breast and cook until it reaches 165F internal temperature or about 15 minutes total for both sides.
Here are also some awesome recipes for a burger and veggie BBQ.
- Have the essential accessories. Before you start the fire, make sure you have everything you may need on-hand. The absolute grilling essentials:
- Tongs and spatulas – Have both within reach for flipping and turning your meats without ruining the charred “crust” that forms upon contact with the grill’s surface
- Skewers – Have some extras on standby too!
- Basting brush – For retouching your meats with some oil or marinade.
- Fuel – May it be gas, coal, or whatever heat source you’re using, you’re going to want to make sure you won’t run out. Keep the extra gas safely away from the grill though!
- Thermometer – Ideally one for external temperature scanning and one you can insert into the meat to read internal temperature which is important for a BBQ done right and when you’re going for a steak at varying levels of doneness.
- Timer – This works hand in hand with your thermometer. If a recipe calls for 3 minutes on each side for a medium done, 1-inch thick steak on a 71C preheated grill, you have to have a timer to tell you when it’s time to turn to achieve your perfect doneness.
- Scraper – Especially important when you’re grilling for a lot of people, this keeps your grill spotless and ready for your next batch of patties or steaks.
- The right type of grill – In (utmost important!) conjunction with the essential accessories above, the type of grill you use matters. We understand how overwhelming it is to find the right grill, so here are the top factors to consider when finding the right one for you:
- Heat source – Do you prefer using gas, pellet, or charcoal? There are pros and cons to each type of grill and it will depend on how much and how often you’ll be grilling as well. Charcoal’s heat can be harder to control while gas and pellet grills can be easier… but the flavors you get from using charcoal can make your BBQs much richer.
- How many are you grilling for? This will also help determine the grill size you ought to get.
- How often will you be grilling? Is it a monthly BBQ with friends and family or are you planning to have a BBQ business? Reliable brands for long-term grilling include Traeger, Napoleon, Alfa Forni, and Big Green Egg.
- Is the grill assembled? The convenience of a readily assembled grill will increase your confidence when it’s time to use it. It would also be great to have a support team to answer your questions about the grill you’ve purchased. At Fires Alive, our team of experts can help you out with any questions you may have.
Find the right grill for you and enjoy a flavorful BBQ done right today. Check out the Massive BBQ Sale we’re having and don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need further information or help on selecting the perfect grill for you. We’re confident we have the right one and would love to help you make that grilling match!