A dish’s flavour profile can change drastically depending on how it’s cooked. Even the most basic salt and pepper seasoning gain a different depth when it’s cooked over charcoal! With that said, you can elevate good old chicken and give it a flavorful twist by cooking it in a different method. We’ve selected some recipes for chicken done in 3 ways that you can try out for your summer BBQ.
Whole Smoked Chicken
Ingredients: 1 whole chicken
3 L of water
½ cup Kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
Chicken rub seasoning
1 yellow onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves
5 sprigs of thyme
1 halved lemon
- Combine the sugar, water, and salt in a pot. This will serve as your brine in which you’ll submerge your chicken in overnight. Make sure the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Weigh the chicken down if needed to make sure it’s submerged.
- When ready to cook, preheat your grill to 225℉—ideally set your grill to its smokiest setting. (Fires Alive has an assortment of BBQs in stock!)
- While the grill preheats, stuff the chicken with the garlic, onion, lemon, and thyme. Coat the outside with the chicken rub and tie the legs together when stuffed.
- Smoke the chicken until its internal temperature reaches 160℉.
- Rest for 15 minutes before carving—the temperature will rise to 165℉ as it rests. Enjoy the juiciest smokey chicken after!
BBQ Half Chicken with Alabama Sauce
3-lb spring chicken
Chicken rub seasoning
¾ cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup lemon juice
¼ cup apple juice
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp mustard powder
¼ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your grill to 375℉ with a closed lid.
- Cut the chicken in half and tuck the wings in.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin-side up and cook until internal temperature reaches 160℉.
- While the chicken is cooking, make your white sauce by whisking together the salt, cayenne, mustard powder, black pepper, horseradish, garlic powder, lemon juice, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and mayonnaise.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, transfer the chicken and spoon over the white sauce before setting it on the grill grates. Close the grill and cook for 10 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper
- In a Ziploc bag, place the chicken with the cumin, lime juice, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat the grill to 450℉.
- Have a cast iron pan or fajita skillet on the grill grate and preheat for about 30 minutes. Oil the pan and place sliced bell peppers seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Lay chicken breasts on skillet and cook for about 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Temperature should be at about 165℉.
- Let it rest before slicing, and assemble with peppers on a skewer.
- Serve as is or with tortillas and other toppings.
Welcome a world of flavours just by switching up your cooking method! Our wide range of grills allows you to choose which cooking style suits you most while giving you that added depth of smokiness and char-grilled goodness to your dishes. Make sure to check out the assortment of BBQs we have in time for your BBQ feasts!